reducing energy costs in cold storage warehouses
Large fanning systems are great for warehouses that need to keep their workers and equipment cool and dry, but what about refrigerated warehouses? Keeping storage in these warehouses sufficiently refrigerated while also providing adequate heating for workers can drive up energy costs. And if the environment isn't comfortable enough for employees, productivity will suffer--not to mention the risks of worker injury, worker's compensation claims, and equipment failure at increasingly lower temperatures. Commercial cold storage fans are an easy solution for reducing energy costs in refrigerated warehouses while also providing a comfortable and safe environment because they are able to both cool and heat with reverse operation.
How commercial cold storage fans reduce energy costs
The cold storage fans are built specifically for large floor areas. Because of their size, they are able to use less blades with greater efficiency and less power to cover a large area with constantly moving air and create a wide comfort zone throughout the facility. The heavy-duty fans can be used for both winter heating and summer cooling since, unlike other industrial fans, the cold storage fans can be run in reverse for heating by pushing warm air down and cold air up without being damaged.
One refrigerated warehouse installed seven large diameter cold storage fans for reducing energy costs and improving heating efficiency. Though they expected the winter heating savings, they were also pleased to find bonus cooling savings during summer months. The company enjoys an estimated $30,000 per year savings on energy costs and a return on investment in just 18 months after installing the fans.
Benefits Of commercial cold storage Fans
In addition to reducing energy costs in refrigerated warehouses and commercial facilities, some of the other numerous benefits of the cold storage fans:
- Quiet and efficient operation; the largest 24 foot fans consume less power than an average hairdryer
- Extremely low maintenance; recommended inspection every 20,000 hours
- Inexpensive operation; approximately 6 cents/hour for one fan at 0.75 kw
- Provides floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall constant and even ambient temperature
- Creates air curtains and non-disruptive air flows
- Minimizes need for expensive duct work in new construction
- Comfortable work environment increases productivity, decreases absenteeism, and reduces risk of injury
- Extended equipment life because the equipment doesn't need to cycle as often or as long as other fans
- Energy savings in both summer and winter
- Tubercle blades allow fans to move more air with fewer blades and less noise
- Protects equipment from damage due to humidity and condensation
- Decreases or removes airborne pollutants
- Reversible operation
- Fans available in 8', 12', 16', 20', and 24' diameters
- Capable of rotating up to 400,000 cfm
- Operates on 0.75 to 1.5 kw
- Variable frequency drive for soft starts and variable speed operation from 0-100%
- safety clips, blade safety links, and collet-type friction drive bushing technology
- Reversible operation for destratifying air in winter
- Fans can cover an area up to 230 ft in diameter
- Ability to link multiple fans
- Fire system & HVAC compatible
- Equipped and compliant with ESFR Control Relays and are fully UL approved
- Minimum ceiling height should equal the diameter of the fan installed (ex: a 24' fan should have at least a 24' ceiling height)
Contact Us For reducing energy costs with Commercial Cold Storage Fans
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for commercial cold storage fans that reduce energy costs in refrigerated warehouses and cold storage facilities. SSG will even provide a free consultation to determine your facility's exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.